Politically Sensible
A few years ago I spent Thanksgiving in Detroit. If you've never been to Detroit, well, you're not missing much. I, personally, liked it because for some bizarre reason I enjoy urban decay and dystopia in general. Anyways, Detroit has the largest Arab population in the US, and I, luckily, enjoyed some authentic Arabic food over the weekend, the likes of which I have not seen in other urban centers. My mom's side of the family lived in Kuwait for nearly 50 years, in fact my mom (and my sister) were born there. As you can imagine, Arabic food become part of my gastronomical palette, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it since childhood.
Back to Detroit- we were going to Shatila Bakery for rosewater ice-cream (quite simply the greatest flavor of ice-cream ever), when I saw this sign.
ARAB KABAB, right?
For those of you who can't read Arabic, it says IRAQI KEBAB!
The post-modern implications of this sign are too immense to do them any sort of justice in this simple post. What a world we live in.
1 comment:
!!!
Throughout college I used to mail order baklava from Shatilas in order to enjoy that little taste of home. (Even though I can make a might nice tray of baklava if I muster the energy.)
Post a Comment