Smallville Ritual
As you all know by now- I'm a huge fan of Smallville. That is a bit ironic since I'm not a tremendous consumer of contemporary programming, however every now and then I come across some shows that I must watch, for example:
- Seinfeld (I've seen every episode- no seriously I have)
- Xena: Warrior Princess (She was so bad-ass, way way better than Hercules)
- Star Trek: Next Generation (Worth just to see the super-hotness of Deanna Troy)
- get home and pee (sorry for the detail, but its part of the routine)
- change immediately- home chilling clothes await i.e. t-shirt and pjs :)
- run into the kitchen and prepare dinner- I'll blog on how to make instant healthy food
- turn on the tv and start watching before the Smallville theme song* starts (which I love)
- start eating food while its still hot (because I'm too hungry and impatient to wait)
- crack open a cold Diet Coke (I drink one with dinner every day, that's all I have in my fridge)
Now if I've missed an episode, some additional work is required. Sometimes I will log on to the Smallville wiki and start reading the backstory- now I realize that this is a form of 'cheating' but at times to truly appreciate the magnitude of the events unfolding in the episode, background research is imperative.
Now this obviously isn't a problem for those who consume Smallville via DVD , where you have the luxury of stopping time. I, on the other hand, have a much more convoluted consumption pattern. See I watch Smallville in syndication every night (I'm in seasons 3-4)- however!- on Thursday night's there is a 'real time' episode of Smallville (season 6). As you can see I have a highly non-linear non-traditional approach to watching Smallville- the story is running in two time sequences, and to be perfectly honest, I don't always know what's going on...and I kinda prefer it that way. Sure I could buy Seasons 1-6, and watching every episode sequentially but that would be so lame and predictable (and knowing my addictive personality I would probably go on a Smallville binge, indulge my insomnia, and not sleep for 37 hours, watching Smallville non-stop, drinking Diet Coke). With my approach every episode is a new adventure, full of excitement, and I always end up with way more questions than I could imagine. Along the way I know I'll fill in the gaps as I watch (and re-watch) episodes, and eventually, in time, all links will be established.
Analysis- now why do I, someone with supreme control in all aspects of my life, prefer to watch Smallville in such a haphazard, non-linear fashion? Well I think it's just that- I'm so controlled and regimented in my life, that this is my small way of expressing rebellion, indulging in freedom, a token of my self-expression. Perhaps, as The Lady likes to say, KH you are odd. Indeed I am.
* 'Save Me' by Remy Zero
I feel my wings have broken
In your hands
I feel the words unspoken
Inside
When they pull you under
And I would give you any thing you want, oh
You were all I wanted
All my dreams are falling down
Crawling round (and round, and round)
Somebody save me
Let your warm hand break right through (me)
Somebody save me
I don't care how you do it
Just stay (stay with me), stay
Come on
I've been waiting for you
I see the world has folded in your heart
I feel the waves crash down inside
And they pull me under
And I would give you anything you want, oh
You were all I wanted
All my dreams have fallen down
Crawling round (and round, and round)
Somebody save me
Let your warm hands break right through (me)
Somebody save me
I don't care how you do it
Just stay (stay with me), stay
Come on
I've been waiting for you
All my dreams are on the ground
Crawling round (and round, and round)
Somebody save me
Let your warm hands break right through (me)
Somebody save me
I don't' care how you do it
Just stay with me (stay with me)
I've made this whole world shine for you
Just stay (stay with me), stay
Come on
I'm still waiting for you
No comments:
Post a Comment