Lonesome Town (cont'd)
I was telling you about dodging the (engagement) bullet...
So we started talking every day. What a cool girl! I thought to myself, ah finally the stars align, this isn't half bad. In retrospect, I believe we got carried away; because of our similar backgrounds- I attributed similarities where none existed, and I, myopically, overlooked the warning signs, even though my spidey-sense informed me otherwise.
The inherent difference? I thought I had found a Chloe disguised as a Lana. No friends, this was a wolf in sheep's clothing- this was a Lana pretending to be a Chloe. Net net, she was a Lana, through and through.
To be completely fair, the girl was manipulated by her family (sadly). On her own, she's of a certain mindset ("I don't wear jewelry"), however post manipulation it's a different story ("KH the Tiffany engagement ring you picked isn't good enough, I want the $17,000 ring"). The sad part is that I'm not even kidding. There was also serious emotional baggage: her parents had divorced when she was 3, she had a terrible relationship with her stepfather, her real father didn't acknowledge her, and she had abandonment issues with her mother. She never let anyone close to her, or her heart, and yet she trusted KH from the get go (which contributed to my belief that we were a good match).
Anyways long story short- I assessed the situation and realized that there were fundamental differences: I valued education, she craved the high-life, I believed in hard work, she wanted the fruits of success, I believed in the content of character, while she believed that her beauty was paramount. Yes, she is beautiful and many (lesser) men will be tempted to overlook her flaws because of it. I, however, march to the beat of a different drummer.
In the end, it was messy. I said thanks but no thanks, and her family said we weren't rich enough (!). I told her that she can go to the highest bidder, but I want no part of it. Adios.
I've always believed that marriage is the life equivalent of rolling the dice- and perhaps it's because of this attitude (self-destructive attitude?) that I feel I'll end up with a Lana. Knowing my luck with timing (in life) I'll meet a perfect Chloe who's already taken. And I'll be stuck with a soul-sucking vampire known as Lana- Jesus, why can't things just work out?
No comments:
Post a Comment