10.6.07

Run Forrest Run

Recently I saw Forrest Gump on tv. It's a movie that I always enjoying watching, even though I know what's about to happen next. Do you have a movie like that? This time around, though, when I saw the movie I came to a startling conclusion:

I AM FORREST GUMP

A post-modern, 2000's version of Forrest, but Forrest Gump for all his random connections nevertheless. I know I know, this is earth shattering (feel free to keep your snarky comments comparing me to Forrest because I'm feeble-minded- haw haw, you're so witty). What struck me is, at the very end of the movie, Forrest says:

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze,but I, I think maybe it's both."

I guess because of my global nomadesque credentials, I tend to float in and out of people's lives. A friend, who I saw after nearly 10 years, told me that the day before she* 'found' me on facebook, she had dreamt about me, like I was part of her subconscious, part of the ether. The next day she reluctantly joins facebook, on a friend's insistence, and the only person she finds there is, well, me. Not only that, but I also live in San Francisco. Very very random.

That's but one example, of how I've floated in and out of people's lives, like a modern day Forrest Gump. I'd like to believe that for the time that my path of life, which is circuitous and meandering (not all those who wander are lost!), intersects with someone else's, I bring great happiness to their existence. And when I leave, and float along in life, these people are left intrigued, and, most importantly, enriched.

Without sounding ridiculous- I understand that I have the ability to invoke strong emotions in people. I can, very quickly, decipher what makes people tick, and on some level that can be a destructive power. However, in spending time with me, I hope, even for a moment, people see what it means to be alive, to be awake, and realize that we don't exist in solitude. We all remain connected, in some small way, to each other, even if it's just by memory alone.

*she is happily married so, no, there is nothing 'going on'

No comments: