19.6.07

80s Music

Okay I admit it- I love 80s music. As a charter member of the MTV Generation, I have to love 80s music- it's a requirement. Honestly though 80s music, despite it's ultimate cheesiness (which is a major contributing factor for its all-round awesomeness), simply is awesome. The 80s sound was heavily produced and was primarily driven by synth-electronic tracks, rock/metal/guitar while great is not 'true' 80s music (no offense Guns N Roses, Scorpions, and Bon Jovi). So, having said that, here's a list of 80s songs that'll get stuck in your head, and will have you cursing the day you read this post :) Enjoy:

  • Walk like an Egyptian- The Bangles- I think they are super hot (Bangles not Egyptians)
  • The Warrior- Patti Smyth- What can be better than repeating "I am a warrior" 126x?
  • Shout- Tear for Fears- Didn't like the song when it first came out, but it rocks now
  • Land Down Under- Men At Work- Reggae-sounding Aussies are hype!
  • The Reflex- Duran Duran- How did they do the water effect in the video?
  • Dancing in the Dark- Bruce Springsteen- yes that is Courtney Cox dancing on-stage
  • Karma Chameleon- Culture Club- FYI -'Red, Gold and Green' are Jamaican colors
  • Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics- A friend met Annie Lennox in SF said she was awesome
  • Into the Groove- Madonna- still considered a dance club legend
  • Bizarre Love Triangle- New Order- one of my personal favorites*
  • Sunglasses at Night- Corey Hart- "Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades"
To be perfectly honest, I could've made a list of entirely of just Madonna, Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, and Duran Duran independently. That, however, would've been too obvious**

* How great are these lyrics?

Every time I think of you
I feel shot right through with a bolt of blue
It's no problem of mine but it's a problem I find
Living a life that I can't leave behind

There's no sense in telling me
The wisdom of a fool won't set you free
But that's the way that it goes
And it's what nobody knows
While every day my confusion grows

Every time I see you falling
I get down on my knees and pray
I'm waiting for that final moment
You'll say the words that I can't say

**
I must say however that 'Rio' by Duran Duran is a great song, and the video was phenomenal

No comments: