8.6.07

Art Therapy

Recently an acquaintance mentioned her weekly art therapy session. Art therapy? Can anything call for more natural derision? Are you kidding me? As you know recently I've been trying to not come across as so jaded and cynical, so rather than easily mock her efforts, I decided to put the sarcasm on hold and think about it.

As a kid, I remember being mildly talented- being a lefty (well I'm ambidextrous) I can, apparently, more easily tap into the creative centers of the brain. While I've always been a visual thinker (no, not a synesthete) I was skeptical that thinking/feeling could easily translate itself easily onto 'canvas'. Nevertheless, I decided to indulge (using graffiti on facebook) and my ensuing 'art work' was open to psychoanalysis. It's been awesome! I've been amazed at the response and spirited debate- I didn't think that my humble attempt at art would evoke such strong opinions and feedback.

I have to admit listening to the pop-therapists' comments has been a source of mild amusement (like eating oreos dipped in orange juice):

"you are wandering"
"the circle is the goal, the path is unknown"
"one side is your fear, the other side is hope"
"you are closed to the world, you need love"

!! I like to think I'm fairly balanced and a relatively sane... well obviously not according to my friends. Anyways, I believe some of these look cool, feel free to provide your analysis- I'll add it to my own Wall of Weird.

My personal favorite? The last one (do you see the hidden message?)








No comments: