Interpretation of Dreams Part II
As a follow-up, I thought it would be interesting to share some common themes that I've seen in my dreams. After reading the below you'll realize that I have suffered from anxiety, uncertainty, poor self-esteem, manic control issues, and doubt. They can also imply that I am looking for answers, solving problems, and pushing myself to do better. I can never remember if I dream in black and white or color? I think its in color but the colors are really washed out and diffused. So enjoy the interpretations, and happy psychoanalysis :)
Death: these are dreams with powerful positive symbolism- it implies an end to one thing and a beginning of another. If you are the dead person in your dream, it could imply that you would like to leave all of your worries and struggles behind and begin anew. Dreaming about someone that you care about may express your fear about losing them. Dreaming that one of your parents died may express fear of loss, but it also may be an unconscious valve through which you release anger and other negative feelings. I've dreamt about dead parents- I think its because I worry about my parents and feel that being away from them for so long (through circumstance not choice) I have let them down. Guilt sucks.
Falling: very common anxiety dreams that can represent underlying fears and feelings of inadequacy and helplessness. Interpret your dream by considering your primary fears, current difficulties, and situations in your life that seem to be on a downward spiral, especially those situations that seem outside of your control. Some people believe that if you keep falling in your dream and don't wake up that you will die at the point of impact. This is absolutely not true. Ha flawed logic- if someone actually dies in their sleep because of this reason how would we know about it?
Flying: implies that you are trying to escape from a negative situation. We all have a desire to be free and above all difficulties. Flying can also imply negative euphoria associated with spiraling out of control. Flying is bad, don't attempt it unless you have read the Hitchhikers Guide.
God: this can be considered a positive or self-affirming symbol. It represents truth, purity, and love. It also represents the creative energy that is abundant in all of us (whether we know it or not). Contrary to popular opinion God is not an old, white man, with long flowing white hair.
Laughing: It is quite common to laugh in dreams, and from time to time to find yourself still laughing when you wake up. Negative laughter, directed at you for instance, can have connections with embarrassment, emotions and vulnerability. This could reflect particular areas of your life where you feel susceptible to ridicule, or even paranoia regarding how others perceive you. There is also the possibility that you are laughing negatively at yourself because of your own pretensions. (I have sleep laughed- it was hilarious, I was giggling when I woke up-sleep laughing rocks!)
Late: If you are arriving late, your unconscious may be telling you to be more perceptive and to use more foresight when making plans. Lateness suggests that the dreamer may be feeling unprepared and distracted in a particular situation in daily life or in regard to long-term goals. I've always been registered for some class in high school or college that I didn't know about- I learn about the day of the final and I can't find where the class is held...very stressful. What the hell is wrong with me? Jesus.
Light: Whether you are dreaming or awake, light is a very positive symbol. It represents enlightenment, lifting of shadow, the acquisition of understanding and knowledge, and a positive force. Others may find this dream reassuring as it may represent a well-lit journey through life, or simply a solution to a current problem. Light always refers to consciousness. In my dreams the light has always been overpowering- like staring at the sun.
Teeth: usually symbolise power and/or control. Look and see if you are losing or abusing power and control in any area of your life (especially if you are losing teeth in your dream). It can also imply poor self-esteem and problems with self-image. Jesus.
1 comment:
I have dreams about my teeth falling out all the time! I also have a recurring dream (well, actually, I haven't had it in a while) about falling in the Queen of Sheeba's palace. But anyway....
As for your dream about your mother- there is some dream theory out there that suggests that sometimes when a man dreams about a woman (or vice versa) it's actually a manifestation of their "feminine" aspect. So perhaps you are...worried that you've lost your nurturing side? Or that you lost it early on, and you're afraid you won't be able to recapture it?
Or something like that. In any case, it's something to think about.
Post a Comment