3.6.07

Misunderstood

I've transformed into the 'bad guy'. When did this happen? At work recently I spent an extra 4 hours one evening, teaching a team member some specific analysis- at the end he was thankful but snarked that I was a 'dictator'. Now, I admit I can be very direct at times- it's the East Coast vibe in me- but it's never personal. So how did I go from 'overall nice guy' to 'Darth Vadar ? I'm not quite sure.

Over the years being personable has been my thing, like my idol Bubba*, when I talk to you, it's like you're the only person in the world. I know how make people feel special and inspired, that's my talent . So when did I become a card-carrying member of the Dark Side?! When did I become The Bad Guy? I'm not quite sure. I'd like to to think I know about capturing hearts and minds, that I am capable of great empathy, and heck, even love. Do I really have a heart of stone? I hope not.

Here's how I've been perceived over the years:

0-11: The Little Gentleman. Shy, unfailingly polite, with a quirky sense of humor.

12-14: The Awakening. Emerging temper, unfailingly polite, with a quirky sense of humor.

15-18: The Revolution. Argumentative, popular, rebellious, with a quirky sense of humor.

19-22: The Lost Years. Outgoing, inconsistent, capable of greatness, handcuffed by doubt.

23-27: The Struggle. Diligent, punctual, intense, serious, with a dry sense of humor.

28-30: The Emergence. Successful, jaded, impatient, determined. Learning to laugh again.

Like many people, I've been burned in love and have also felt the sting of being too popular. I think early on I trusted too easily, and subsequently perhaps I overcompensated by trusting too little. I'd like to believe I've found a balance- and I'd like to believe I'm still someone capable of great love.

* Bill Clinton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hah! I knew you when you were 15-18. You were SO not popular! :-p

(just kidding!)