Go Your Own Way...
The classic song by Fleetwood Mac. It's awesome and terrible. And it's about break-ups.
My point on break-ups: most people are not strong enough to weather a break up. Or perhaps, more accurately they lack the resolve to actually break up. Look I realize the arguments around love, or residual love etc. but my point is very simple: Once you've decided to 'break up' why not just go through with the process? Be clinical, be surgical and cut off the diseased limb (I know...I'm working on the whole 'compassion' angle). I think once you're in a relationship, you become mentally dependent on the other person. They become an emotional crutch. So when its time to bid adieu! most people lack the strength to do it- believe me it requires tremendous mental strength, will power, and discipline to take that path and stay on it. It's difficult in the short term, but much better for your collective mental health in the long run.
Ever try breaking a green stem? It's very difficult, because they are pliable and fibrous. That's what most break-ups are like- you go back and forth, we're together, we're not together, crying, arguing, discussions, long phone calls, feeling miserable, arguing, reminiscing, back and forth, yadda, yadda, yadda. Jesus, let it go already? Have some pride, some self-respect. Doesn't it seem wrong to be so weak?
Look maybe I'm a cold bastard, but I never believed that people could be 'friends' after a break up. How is that possible? If you loved with the intensity and passion I have felt in my life, being 'friends' seems so insipid and pathetic.
The option I recommend is really really painful. And that alone is enough to deter most people. But in time all wounds heal. You will emerge a stronger, more resilient person.
The hardest thing I had to do was say my final goodbye to bella. I remember it vividly: the embrace that wouldn't end, the smell of her hair, her tears and mine. I kissed her on her forehead. Then I turned around, walked out and I did not look back. There's nothing more I wanted to do at that time but turn around, run back to her and just find a way to solve everything. We would find a way, we would figure it out...
Grow up kiddo- reality, unfortunately, bites.
1 comment:
The way I see it - I've always tried to remain friends with ex-loves BECAUSE of the intense emotion shared. How could I claim to love someone, then cut them out of my life completely? For me, it just does not compute.
Post a Comment