16.7.07

Weekend Recap

Well it's more of a Sunday recap. I again only slept 5 hours, and woke up with the beginnings of a migraine. I honestly really really hate that. I don't know if you have suffered from migraines, but it is a terrible affliction. Anyways I woke up and I felt the beginnings of that familiar throbbing echo behind my left eye...took 2 Advil...ate an apple...checked facebook...gmail chat...blogged...went back to sleep and woke up at NOON.

Now I was like, damn it half the day is gone! I briefly considered being a jerk and not doing anything, basically hang out watching dvds, chatting on gmail, reading random entries on wikipedia, and planning Kal El's Excellent Adventure. Not a terrible way to spend Sunday. But I realized I'd just hate myself if I stayed in all day. It makes me feel useless. So I got up showered and headed to the bookstore.

I hadn't been to a bookstore in a while, and man Sunday is NOT the day to go. It was too crowded and noisy (I was a tad grouchy). See bookstores are the cousins of libraries, so people should learn to be quiet in them, its just proper bookstore etiquette. It's the whole adding the coffee shop to the bookstore idea, I was never a big fan of the 'merge'. The coffee shops have no atmosphere, and are too uncomfortable. Plus people feel compelled to talk hence ruining the bookstore vibe. As you can see I've thought about this. Oh what did I buy?

Well I told you that Tony Wheeler is my new hero so here's what I bought (asides from The Economist):

Bad Lands by Tony Wheeler and Once While Traveling: The Lonely Planet Story

and

I also picked up The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri- this is my first foray into so called 'immigrant fiction'. I'll approach it with an open mind and give it a fair shot. Jhumpa by the way has terribly beautiful eyes.

The rest of the day involved:

  • Moving in boxes, desk, weight bench
  • Organizing my apartment nominally (there are paths to walk!)
  • Spoke to Princess Fiona- her former boss didn't submit a recommendation, so I had to (as usual) play the role of counselor, I seem to do that quite often for my friends. Put things in perspective and made her laugh (see I can be nice)
  • Caught up with Hague- he just got back from Paris and wanted to talk about my recent Sales 2.0 post on Bubblegeneration that was quoted by Webex. I told him that I was pissed his girlfriend has stopped calling me, hehehe
  • Put on Ong Bak: Thai Warrior- I've started watching DVDs again, well I put them on and pay attention when merited
  • Worked for 2 hours-now I have a headstart on Monday, allows me to ease into the week, plus I told the boss I'd take care of it this weekend, so I did
  • Researched Kal El's Excellent Adventure- I think it might be too tiring to go all the way to England via train. I'm doing a drastic re-design of the trip. Right now I'm taking the train from Beijing to Shanghai to Hong Kong. But then I remembered next year are the Olympics so China is going to be insane...perhaps I should just train it from Turkey onwards? Decisions decisions...
  • Digital SLRs- I had settled on the Nikon D200. Then a friend told me he got the Canon EOS 400D and said it was just as good for half the price. I don't know. I've always had an issue about 'copying' people, its very important for me to be unique. I'm serious! At restaurants, I hate it when someone orders the same thing that I do, I will actually conspire to order at the end to avoid that. I know I probably didn't get enough hugs as a child
Pretty cool weekend as such- Oh I forgot to add- I went for a long walk around the neighborhood, it was fun but I still have to check out the beach trail. Book reports coming soon, stay tuned. If you have thoughts about the Excellent Adventure, or otherwise, share.

Good night and Good luck,

As ever,

Kal El

No comments: