8.7.07

Note to Self

Make sure your alarm is turned off when the weekend hits.

On most mornings, thanks to my body bioclock, I tend to wake up at the same time (and normally before my alarm). I set the alarm on my cell phone purely as a backup, just in case I've an unusually difficult case of insomnia* and got marginal sleep at best. Anyways like most people, who function in sleep debt, I catch up on my sleep on the weekends. If that doesn't happen for whatever reason, Kal El gets very cranky. Very very cranky.

Luckily my cellphone has an option where the alarm is activated for the weekdays, exclusively. Well today, Sunday, I woke up because...the alarm** went off. My response:

*&^%$##*&%$##@!~&^$# !!!

I felt like taking my cell phone and throwing it out the window. Aaaaaaaaaah, why why why? Now I'll never be able to go back to sleep! Well that's not entirely true, one trick that does work: when I was a kid, I'd wake up early on the weekends (because I was hungry) and make myself this giant breakfast: omelet, cheddar cheese, wheat toast, orange juice, the works. I'd gorge myself and then promptly fall asleep.

Hmmm, I might have to try the food-as-narcotic trick today.

*Insomnia is weird- for the first few hours after I 'wake' up I'm strangely more aware/focused. I'm not really thinking about anything except what's in front of me- I can bring forth my full computing, processing power in those few hours. However that altered state doesn't last and typically by the afternoon I hit a wall- for as aware as I was in the morning, I'm proportionally scrambled in the afternoon i.e. the brain has run of reserve fuel and needs to recharge!

**I bought an alarm clock my first year of college and put a trippy Sailor Moon sticker on it- I had bought these stickers on my birthday (Halloween) and was handing them out to those I chose (see I can be friendly- it was also a great ice-breaker with absolutely random girls, hot random girls I might add- their unanimous reaction was always some variation of 'I love Sailor Moon!' Muhahaha). Anyways, being a notorious packrat, I've had the alarm clock for 12 years and I can't seem to get myself to throw it out. It still works! The alarm is this really loud, annoying, blaring TAAA TAAA TAAA which has conditioned me over the years to wake up before it sounds and turn it off- that way I can sleep 'uninterrupted'. Good logic, yes? My fellow insomniacs will understand.

No comments: