2.7.07

Pop Culture

I must confess- I am a fan of pop culture. For me, it's a study in artistic manipulation- I find it amazing that the 'masses' are easily hypnotized and directed towards what they are 'supposed' to consume, think, and feel. Along the way you tend to get tremendous insights into how utterly ridiculous the world can be. To be perfectly honest, I do find pop culture fascinating, a bit interesting, and more than a bit, well fun:

  • America's Got Talent is my new favorite show- it's just so incredibly stupid and awesome. I like the fact that most 'acts' last 2 minutes or less- you don't have to invest a tremendous amount of time with the show to be entertained i.e. the time to value ratio is optimized
  • Related to the point above, anything David Hasselhoff ("The Hoff") does is awesome. He is the epitome of modern American culture, this is, after all, the creator of Baywatch! A show where nothing really happened (except for slow-motion running on the beach) and it generated over 1 billion viewers worldwide...hmm I wonder how? Oh don't roll your eyes and scoff at The Hoff- he is worth an estimated $100 million
  • The Spice Girls- Did you know I met one of the Spice Girls? (It was Sporty Spice who, by the way, in their reincarnation looks way hotter than she ever did in 1998) The Spice Girls sold 55 million albums worldwide. I liked them when they came out and am grateful for their reunion. Quick note- does anyone find it odd/weird/bizarre that they named the token black chick, Scary? That is so wrong and awesome
  • Paris Hilton- more than meets the eye? A clueless, less-than-intelligent, party girl who's famous for being famous OR a savvy, shrewd business mastermind who has carefully concocted one of most elaborate hoaxes of our generation? A modern vixen, who steals our attention and our hearts with her porn video (she's a mindless automaton during sex- now that was freaky), fights with Lindsay 'Firecrotch' Lohan, and recent prison stint (during which she 'discovered' the Bible). Paris you are a genius, I salute you
- more later -

No comments: