What Now?
So believe it or not, the year is over. Seriously, there's only four months left. Most management consultants will tell you that time passes at an incredible clip in this profession. Why? It's because our point of view is completely project focused i.e. you move from one project to the next, deadline to deadline, without any respite.
Broadcasting, or any deadline driven profession, is similar- functioning in such an intense environment is highly stressful but very euphoric. You're constantly putting out fires, rushing to complete deliverables, and always expected to produce the highest quality of work. It's a high stress, high reward lifestyle, and to the outsider it must seem oddly masochistic.
Nevertheless, time is passing at an oppressive rate. Although there are days when I want it to go faster (Itchy Feet Syndrome). By this December, I'll know where I'm headed for B-skool next year. And then, what? I can potentially take an 8 month vacation.
Consider this- I face the possibly the longest bona fide vacation of my life, without having to work, without a care in the world and in true Kal El fashion, I find this idea mildly daunting. It's not my fault really- when you've been busy working and climbing the proverbial 'mountain' for the last 7 years, even well earned time off becomes a source of penance vs. happiness.
Nevertheless, some ideas I've considered-
Far East Adventure: some days I think this would be incredibly fun. Other times I feel that it would be incredibly lonely. My only companions would be a journal and my D80. Perhaps I'll postpone it till it feels right
L'aventure Gauloise: a college buddy,Q, mentioned recently that his parents recently moved to Paris (from Tunisia, by way of Ghana). Q is one of the coolest people I know- a TCK, he grew up in Pakistan, South Africa, and Nepal. He might be headed to France in March, so it would be a perfect opportunity to party / travel in Gaul
Work: I would take some time off, just not so much. I figure I can continue working till about June and then take 2 months off. Then I wonder, why? After B-skool I'll be working for the rest of my life, so why not take advantage of this interlude?
New York: Okay work with me on this one: I move to New York and get job as a bartender, or a valet, or even at the library. Some simple job. I'd spend most of my time running, and training. I could even join a boxing gym. I'd walk around the city taking pictures with my Digital SLR. The question is how sustainable is it? Would I get bored?
Regardless of what I end up doing, at some point I'll go see my parents and spend time with them. It's long overdue. Asides from that I figure as the time comes closer, the right decision will become apparent. Most importantly, I'd like to look back at this time in my life and remember as a time of great discovery and growth. I'm not sure that can be structured or planned, it just has to happen.
2 comments:
Go for New York. You can still travel when you're rich and overworked but you'll probably never get another chance to be a bartender or a valet. Or...in a Broadway musical.
Ah yes, or perhaps even join the ballet [jest]
Post a Comment