3.8.07

Injury

This is going to sound terrible. Don't read ahead if you're squeamish.

Two years ago I was playing tackle football in the park and suffered, what I thought was at the time, a minor injury. Here's what happened: I was tackled at my ankles, the pass sailed out of bounds, and while I was falling face first, I decided to break my fall by putting my hands out in front of me. I ended up falling on my right side, and my shoulder bore the brunt of the impact.

When I stood up I could hardly move my shoulder. I should've gone to the emergency room, because (I didn't realize this at the time) I had a partially dislocated shoulder. I ignored it, and thought, 'hey, it'll get better in a couple of days'. Bad bad idea Kal.

Over the years my right shoulder needs to 'crack' back into place and is generally discombobulated (I like that word). This past week it's been acting up more than usual.

Here comes the scary part: I've started losing sensation in the extremities on the right side of my body i.e. my finger tips and toes. At night if I sleep on my right side at all I get pins and needles in my arm within a few minutes. Essentially the blood circulation seems to be off kilter.

I did some background research and what's happened is that the blood vessels around the ball-socket joint have been disrupted due to scar tissue. The condition will most likely require surgery to restore the blood circulation. Unfortunately the effects are cumulative so it's possible that I will continue to lose sensation/use of my right side. I can't believe this is for real. However this is based on my initial research, I'm finally going to see a doctor. Pray for Kal El.

No comments: