First Class
This article on next-gen First Class service reminded me of an incident-
The last time I was in London was 1993 (I can't believe it's been that long). As a family we were flying back to Q8 from our holidays, my parents were in Business Class, and my sister and I were unceremoniously slated for Economy. I was 17, and friend if you think I'm cocky now, you should've seen me back in the day (go ahead roll your eyes, it's okay)- my parents found it immensely funny that we were stuck in coach, and were giving me good natured grief about it all the way to the airport. I, of course, was furious. How could I be treated like this?? The indignation! The humiliation! I deserve better!
Scene: British Airway Business Class counter @ Heathrow -the hot check-in lady with her BBC accent was like- "Ah, Mr. and Mrs. El I can see you're in Business Class and, ah yes, the kids (serfs) are not!". This was all too much... I must do something... must go down FIGHTING-at this moment I leaned forward, gave her my special howyoudoin smile and said, "You know, wouldn't it be just great if you upgraded me to First Class?". The lady looked up, saw this 17 year old punk, smiling at her, twinkling eyes...skip two beats...I hold eye contact...and she says..."Alright. Just this once."
Mom and Dad were like, Wow! My sister was FURIOUS and started the mandatory protest, but by then the deed was done. She flew coach, Mom and Dad flew Business, and I flew from London to Kuwait in First Class baby ! Ma and Pa, in a way, were amazed and amused by my hustle and charm :)
How was the flight? Things I remember:
- Flight attendants were so much hotter back then
- Lunch/Dinner/Snacks were served on fine bone china
- The silverware was heavy
- I found it amusing to be called Mr. El for 5 hours
Looking back, in a way it's little incidents like this that help build self-confidence and self-belief, qualities that most teenagers, even cocky ones, need in copious amounts.
No comments:
Post a Comment