Punk Revival
I've been a fan of punk since I saw The Ramones, at the ripe age of 14, at The Academy in New York City in 1990. I remember the first time I heard The Offspring was on a school trip to Athens* in 1994. A friend had bought a graciously pirated copy of their album, Smash, from a street hawker. After Nirvana's Nevermind, this was the first album that I thought seriously rocked.
Interestingly the lead singer of Offspring, Dexter Holland, was his high school's valedictorian and was a Ph.D. candidate in Molecular Biology at the University of Southern California. He has a Bachelor's degree in Biology and a Master's degree in Molecular Biology, both from the University of Southern California. Holland is also a licensed Airline Transport Pilot and has made a solo trip around the world in 10 days. He also runs marathons. Nerds who made good, always make for a great story.
Enjoy!
* That trip to Athens was fun since my best friend and I managed to secure the hotel room right next to our girlfriends (who were conveniently rooming together). At night, even though our respective balconies were separated by a divider, we managed to swap rooms. How? We climbed over the railing and slid across. 15 stories up. Ah yes the wonderful stupidity of youth and impulsiveness of hormones.
3 comments:
Ah, a "classic"! Love this song.
Susan from Belfast? I thought we were fighting.
:p K
Post a Comment