29.5.07

The Peril of Lending Books

Simple peril of lending books- you don't get your them back. Ever. Look I'm a generous guy, I am. And I have paid dearly for my generosity. It took an especially painful lesson before I instituted my current, No Book Borrowing Ever, policy.

It was 1990, the Gulf War 1.0 was underway, I, as a 14 year old refugee in Pennsylvania, bought a hardcover edition of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I loved that book. Why? It was my escape every night from thinking about the War- a war that displaced us from our home and life, and more importantly left us without any news of Papa, who was missing. A father's presence is a silent shadow of support that you don't notice until it's gone. Such heavy thoughts for a 14 year old to ponder at the time. So instead of feeling completely miserable, I read The Guide every night. I loved The Guide, it was my friend- funny, confusing, and it made sense! I even had the original version with the cover that had the big happy planet eating a smaller happy planet (true Guide fans will know of what I speak). I read it 12 times between 1990-1994.

It's my senior year of high school and my girlfriend at the time 'borrows' The Guide. Like I fool I parted with it. Sadly, I never got it back. She moved, and so did I. Even though I subsequently bought a replacement copy, it was never quite the same, the magic was gone.

Now instead of lending books, I just gift them. I figure I won't get them back anyways, so I might as well autograph them and say adios. There are certain books that are my 'favorites' (I know that sounds like I'm about 7) and I just say you are welcome to come over and read them! I don't care what people think- as they say once bitten twice shy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about that book?! I have the Complete Guide as well. And guess how I got it? I borrowed it off a good family friend during his senior year of high school (my sophomore year), and then never returned it. I actually tried, but each time he was like, "Did you finish it? No? Then just keep it until you do."

Now he's in Michigan, and I'm here, and we see each other once a year at which time I always forget that I still have his Guide.

There are just some books you should never lend.

kh said...

All Guide poachers should be ostracized from modern society as we know it.