27.5.07

Perception = Reality

I'd like to make it abundantly clear that I am vehemently opposed to the wholesale 'casual-look' trend that permeates contemporary work environments. Call me old school but I remember the time when people dressed up for travel. There was a sense of occasion, prestige, even a certain decorum associated with flying. Unfortunately, now in the modern workplace you see jeans (of dubious quality), white socks, wrinkles, and sneakers. And that is wrong, wrong I tell you! Why?

Well perception is reality, it's that simple.

What happened to dress for success?
Or dress for the job you want, not the job you have?
Do people not take pride in themselves any more?
Is it better to look just mediocre?
Don't you want to be the best and look your best?

And when I say dressing up I don't mean white tie and tails. I believe the way you look says a lot about who you are. Now if you're going to come back with the customary, well 'I don't care what people think', well then you're more immature and naive than I thought. Look if we're constantly judged and stereotyped in society, why not put yourself in the best possible position?

Perfect grooming is about your brand, and it's up to you to define it. Personally, I aim to be the best, so I strive to look the best. Now I probably overdo it a bit more than most...but here's what I wear typically to work:

  • Freshly laundered and pressed french cuff shirt
  • Cuff links (I have many, they are my weakness)
  • V-neck sweater (weather permitting)
  • Precisely ironed (dry cleaned) slacks
  • Sleek shoes- no laces, laces are stupid and inefficient
Damn I look good! And so you will you. So stop being lame and fix your wardrobe. You'll feel better about yourself too, maybe you'll even develop an aura of sophistication/class like, well, me :)

No comments: