Mind Your Language
Do you ever think that television programming nowadays is so politically correct? Mind Your Language is a British show from 70s. For the uninitiated, it was set in London at a night school where an assortment of foreigners are taking an English class.
Every single stereotype that you can think of is shown, and exploited. It's great! Here's what they were like:
German- serious and humorless
French and Swede characters- dim-witted, flirtatious, sexually liberated and very hot
Chinese- hardcore Maoist who carries her Little Red Book everywhere
Pakistani and Sikh- heavy accents with a lot of head shaking (haha!)
Greek and Italian- macho, flirtatious, hitting on the Swede and French girls
I believe what made it great was that England in the 70s was a truly that multicultural, and the show as microcosm of London society at the time. I've lived in 5 countries and 9 cities, I truly consider myself a global citizen, yet I find nothing wrong with light-hearted fun at things we all notice, but are now too 'politically correct' to say. Nevertheless I highly recommend watching it, cheers MYL I wish there was more like you today.
No comments:
Post a Comment