The Trek
I've lived in 5 countries, 9 cities, the eastern hemisphere and the west. However, it wasn't until I was graduated from college that I recognized the complications of holding a Third World passport. Being a global traveler and citizen, getting visas and breezing through airports was par for the course. At graduation, before I was started my professional life, I took stock of my life and realized the relative weakness of the cards I held.
It's the spring of 1999 and I was in Montreal pondering my imminent future. Bubba's still in the White House, the dotcom boom is minting instant millionaires, and like most foolhardy 22 year olds, I believed its only a question of time before I was anointed with greatness. Ha! If I only knew...
Rewind back to August 1976 on a rainy day in London, it's still 2 months before I'm born in Oslo, Norway. Mom misses Dad, who recently has been transferred to Oslo, too much to postpone her move until after I'm born. Now, if I was born in England, instead of Norway, today I'd be Her Majesty's subject holding a nifty British EU passport. Instead, I was born in Norway and the Norwegians, too, bestow citizenship but (and it's a huge but) only after you've lived there for 5 years, can speak Norwegian, and have completed x years of schooling in Norway. Sigh. Net net, I end up with passport issued by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Fast-foward back to Montreal: I realize that I'm essentially an Economic Refugee. I also realize that Greatness is going to be a tougher mountain to climb than what I originally expected.
So as I chain-smoked Player Lights, here are the choices I face:
- Move back to Pakistan- a country where I have lived a grand total of 5 years in my life, none of those years since the age of 12. A country where the future is (at the time) bleak, my options limited, and most importantly it paints me into a corner.
- Stay in Canada- somehow get Canadian immigration, somehow find a job (which are not abundant in French-speaking Montreal), somehow survive more winters.
- Move to the US- take the job offer in Pittsburgh, navigate the notorious immigration process and, of course, become a billionaire
1999-2001: get my first work permit, but no greencard commitment. On cue- dotcom bubble goes supernova, economy tanks, Dubya elected, 9.11, etc.
2002-KH starts greencard trek. Price: 20% pay cut + (essentially) startup situation
2005- After moving to Madison fucking cold Wisconsin, temporarily renting a room with no-heating (God's honest truth), surviving 3 rounds of layoffs, and endless sleepless nights of anxiety...KH is finally a US permanent resident!
Am I the spy who came in from the cold? Post-greencard its been easy cruising- I've been headhunted for jobs, doubled my income, and moved to California. No, I'm not a billionaire, but I will have a US passport in a couple of years. In the past 8 years, there were times that truly tested the strength of my character. And to be perfectly honest, I spent many a sleepless night, strung out on anxiety, coping with the inherent uncertainty of my situation. I'd be lying if I said I never considered throwing in the towel because life was simply too tough.
However unlike popular global opinion, I have great love for the United States. I came here, a Third World kid with a Canadian education, 1 suitcase, and $70 in my pocket. Now, I could lament about how hard I've had to work in comparison to some of my peers and friends, however I learned a long time ago that life is not fair. Sadly some people will never experience a fundamental test of will, learn about the strength of their character, or have the satisfaction of surveying a conquered mountain through sheer hard work and single-minded dedication. Looking back, I am grateful for the opportunities this country provided me to improve my life. And in a way, I am the American Dream.
As I write these words it occurs to me that there are millions in less fortunate situations who won't have the same opportunities that I had. Perhaps a world without borders would reach a state of equilibrium where everyone has an equal chance to earn a better life. It's an idealistic thought process; perhaps a more achievable goal is to improve economic viability and access to education. It's the suffering of the less fortunate that makes me think and, at the same time, makes me sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment