28.5.07

Robert Frost is Good for You

My favorite poet. I'm not sure if people are meant to have favorite poets, like say, favorite shoes, but I sincerely believe your life will be enriched by reading Robert Frost. Periodically, in this forum I'll include examples of great writing. Bon appetit:

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Prelude by Rudyard Kipling

I have eaten your bread and salt.
I have drunk your water and wine.
In deaths ye died I have watched beside,
And the lives ye led were mine.

Was there aught that I did not share
In vigil or toil or ease, --
One joy or woe that I did not know,
Dear hearts across the seas?

I have written the tale of our life
For a sheltered people's mirth,
In jesting guise -- but ye are wise,
And ye know what the jest is worth.

No comments: