28.5.07

The Coolest Kids in the World

If you ever have the opportunity to live overseas with your family, I highly recommend it. Send your kids to an international school and give them the opportunity to form friendships the likes of which may not be replicated. These are lifetime friendships and they have withstood the test of time and distance. I doubled dipped- I was lucky to attend an international school (ASK) and a diverse university (McGill- in Montreal- an amazing urban setting). It wasn't the natives that made these places unique it was the opportunity to meet kids who, like me, were global nomads. The setting itself was secondary, a mere forum or channel for these kids to connect- the beginnings of a global social network.

According to wikipedia, a 'Third Culture Kid' or (what I prefer) Global Nomad:

"refers to someone who as a child has spent a significant period of time in one or more culture(s) other than his or her own, thus integrating elements of those cultures and their own birth culture, into a third culture"
So these kids were career expatriates, more comfortable in foreign cultures than their own, having lived longer overseas than they did in their native countries. When these global nomads converge the results are incredible- each contributing their own patchwork quilt or collage of experiences and ideas that leads to tremendous energy and fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's like I'm your muse or something!