3.9.07

El Bulli

Someday I'd like to dine @ El Bulli. Just for the experience of enjoying a 3 Michelin star restaurant, that would be interesting, no? Apparently Ferran Adria, the chef, is a genius:

Santi Santamaria will offer on his menu rack of lamb, and the dish you will receive will quite possibly turn out to be the best of its kind you'll ever taste. At El Bulli you won't eat rack of lamb - or anything recognisable as such. What you will eat is something like the 30-dish package I consumed the one time I went there in 1998. I had, among other things, pistachios and ice-cream and consommé and raviolis. That was how the menu described them, but when they arrived - each a little painted sculpture - it turned out that the pistachios came in the form of a sherbet lolly; the ice-cream was parmesan, sandwiched in parmesan wafers; the consommé consisted of three parts: transparent but richly tasty tomato water, bright red watermelon cubes and little green balls of basil foam; the raviolis looked like raviolis but were made not with pasta but with calamari meat and when you bit into them a warm gel of coconut, mint and ginger oozed onto your tongue, around the inner lining of your cheeks and down your throat.
Excerpt from a great article in the Guardian.

No comments: